Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Amateur Ornithologist

My girlfriend went in for "breast augmentation" surgery yesterday.


Before


After

She's been wanting to do this for about eighteen years now, but never had the resources or personal time to get it done. I've taken the week off to look after her while she's recovering.

I'm still not too sure how I feel about it. I can't be too critical of body modification, because I have a big honking tattoo and butt implants (I made one of those up). I have a generic anti-surgery bias; my left knee is the proud owner of a torn ACL resulting from a football game gone drastically awry, which I haven't had repaired. So it's not just an abstract principle, I really don't like surgery. Maybe I'll whistle a different tune if I'm shot through the chest someday.

But really, it's her body and she can do what she chooses with it. I've tried pretty hard to be neutral about the whole thing, and it's been on the table for the four years and change that we've been together, so it's been discussed at some length. I've repeatedly said that if she wanted to do this for herself then more power to her, but I'm happy with the goods God gave her. And I am, I think she has a smoking hot body which is fine the way it is. Er, was.

Anyway, now I'm a little sad about the whole thing.

On a side note, during the pre-op briefings they gave her a little stuffed bear to take home after the surgery. We immediately christened it "Sweater Puppet." Helped lighten the mood.