Saturday, March 12, 2005

Free Agua Caliente

I was driving around the other day and I saw what looked to be a college student, a fairly scruffy young man with wanabi dreadlocks, driving a beat up old car with a bumper sticker reading "Free Tibet" in rainbow lettering. Now, I'm glad to see young people these days get themselves up for any reason at all, and freedom for Tibet is certainly a worthy cause, but it makes me wonder why I never see bumper stickers saying we should free Pine Ridge. Or San Felipe, Fort Apache, Nez Perce, or Ponca. You get my point. I would hope.

In bad lighting it's difficult for me to make meaningful distinctions between Tibet and Mescalero. I certainly never have Richard Gere dropping by my house to chat about higher consciousness, or sending me huge checks for my services; teaching him to cry when he sees litter, giving him an Authentic Indian Name (tm), and assigning him a power animal. Nope.

I'm thinking I could strike a huge blow against the Man by creating my own line of colorful bumper stickers, demanding a Free Nambe Pueblo.